North American Morgans

To: "' LMG@GoMoG '" <gomog@angelfire.com>
Subject: North American Morgans
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 12:23:39 -0400
Lorne,

I agree with your assessment.  I was a member of the MSSC for about ten
years, faithfully paying my membership and faithfully waiting for issues of
Miscellany to appear in the hope of some relevant technical information.
What I received instead was a monthly compilation of events by various
member clubs, occasionally some technical information, and some photographs
to drool over.  This is not intended to be a put down of the magazine or of
the organization; it's just that they are aimed primarily at the UK.  I
think that the best information I've obtained from Miscellany was the
address of Melvyn Rutter (so I could order a catalog) and the address of a
B&B in Great Malvern (which I used when I visited "the works.")

I've found the Morgan list and the various web pages devoted to Morgans of
much greater use.  One advantage is their immediacy in that electrons move
faster than Canada Post (Quick: Why does Canada Post not get into e-mail?
Because they have not yet found a way to slow down electrons).  With the
increased availability of e-mail and high resolution printers,
Internet-based information will be ideal for those of us who live "out in
the boonies."

I see printed-and-mailed information becoming more and more of an
anachronism.  Note that the Morgan Company is also using more and more
advanced techniques in building their cars.  I wonder how long it will be
before they start impregnating their ash and plywood with monomers and
polymerize them using electron beams to generate wood frames that are not
vulnerable to rot.  But I digress.

Local clubs are nice, but you need a "critical mass," i.e., a high enough
Morgan owner-aficionado concentration to make it work.  The Canadian prairie
provinces and US Plains states don't draw Morgan owners and the best we can
do is to look with a certain degree of envy at successful clubs elsewhere
where the roads are winding and the weather is more benign and to visit the
various Morgan web pages.

Chuck Vandergraaf
'52 +4
Pinawa, MB