RE: Model years

To: RHT56@aol.com, edherman@concentric.net, polmognl@wxs.nl,
Subject: RE: Model years
From: Gerry Willburn <Gerry.Willburn@trw.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 07:36:11 -0700
The original comment was in answer to a question as to whether MORGANs had
"Model Years."  My answer was that for the Plus 4s (Series 1?) they did not.
You cannot say that "My Morgan is a '19xx Model' and, therefore it has this
very precise specification.  Morgan made changes throughout the year as
necessary.  Do determine the exact specification for a given Plus 4 you must
quote the chassis number not the "Model Year" or even date of manufacture as
some changes were "filtered" in over a period of time.

That is not to say, as Hermen indicated,  that Morgan might not have
advertised in the 1930's "New for 1938 ..." when the change had actually
taken place in 1937.

The year first registered became very important (in California, at least)
with the advent of the Ralph Nader laws as it dictated which ones of the
ever changing regulations the car must comply with and again last year when
the old age exemptions to Smog Check became law in California.  It became
worthwhile to go back and change the registration to the earlier "year of
manufacture."

Gerry