An ongoing saga.....

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: An ongoing saga.....
From: scott.barrie@CIMtegration.com (Scott Barrie)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 18:56:20 -0400
It's the way of the world, I guess. I've finally had some time to spend
driving and enjoying my car and..... naturally..... it's becoming a series
of frustrating of problems.

A problem with misfiring was solved (knock on wood) by a new set of plugs
and richening (sp?) the mixture by a flat on each carb.

The overheating problem continues and I've been looking for an electric
fan. I did add an overflow bottle to turn it into a closed system. Problem
is, after driving the car for a few miles (long enough to get it hot) the
vital fluid spews out of the rad cap under enough pressure that it goes all
over the car or the pavement, rather than into the bottle. Any thoughts? It
has a 4lb. cap. Could it just be a baffed cap? Should I consider upping the
rating? If so, how high should I go? 7lb?

The other problem that has been developing is a nasty vibration. It seems
to happen at between 2800 and 3000 rpm but not under load. In other words
it's at its worst when I'm travelling at a steady speed or off the throttle
altogether. It's not the typical Morgan front end shake, but rather seems
to be originating in the power train somewhere.  I've replaced motor mounts
and generally checked everywhere for a clearance or mounting problem. Can't
find anything that could be causing it. Any suggestions as to what it might
be or ideas for how to isolate it would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Scott Barrie
'63 Plus Four