Re: Questions for the experts.

To: Morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Questions for the experts.
From: jpavone@vanstar.com
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 13:13:46 -0700
Mike,

1) No, I'm not an expert but I run a 1600 Ford "competition" spec engine in
my 59 4/4 and I've checked out modifications from several English Ford
experts.

First, run a compression or leakdown test to make sure that your current
engine isn't "tired". There is point in modifying  a worn out engine.
Assuming the engine is ok, replace the wimpy factory header with one of a
larger bore (carb rejeting may be required).The distributor should  have
about 36 degrees max advance. You won't really get any extra power from an
electronic iginition but the car will be easier to start and always stay in
tune. If you are running a single downdraught Weber you could install a
mild street cam.  A wilder street cam would require a modified head and
dual Weber DCOE's. If you really want more power you could install a Lotus
Twin Cam  or better yet, a BDA head. You could expect about 170 hp with the
later. Both would require a piston change and a good freshening of the
bottom end.

The header/cam change will probably cost at least $600 if you do the work
yourself. A good modified head is about $1000.  A Lotus Twincam or BDA
conversion will run at least $5000 if you use new parts and do the work
yourself.

A while back I drove a BDA powered 4/4 which sported a pair of Weber 45
DCOE's. The car was pretty fussy and had disappointing grunt at low speeds
but was scary fast above 3500 rpm!

Dave Bean Engineering or JAE (805) 967-5767 can help you with whatever you
decide.

2) The wiring harness is not Lucas but "Morgan" with a bunch of Lucas
components hanging off it. I don't know if anyone makes an "improved"
version.

Regards,
John