Re: Early +4 Steering box

To: ecummins@bellsouth.net, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Early +4 Steering box
From: TrmpetDave@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 01:01:57 EDT
In a message dated 10/23/99 8:09:15 AM, ecummins@bellsouth.net writes:

<<I need some expert opinions on the early +4 seering box , 1959 specifically.

I am contemplating rebuilding all or part of it.

I read somewhere, years ago, possible in Miscellany, that when the steering
becomes loose, taking out the peg, and giving it an almighty wallop on its
point with a large hammer would correct the situation, by widening the peg.
Has any one else heard of this, or tried it? When the steering on my '71 +8
loosened, I got a Gemma box, which works ok, except that it needs a hydraulic
steering stabilizer to deaden the shimmy-I use one designed for a VW  van. I
still have the original box, however and one of these days may try the hammer
trick. Dave Collins, San Diego