Re: More fuel gauge

To: Chip.Brown@msdw.com, william.eastman@medtronic.com
Subject: Re: More fuel gauge
From: ARoman4047@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 06:41:57 EST
Gentlepersons-
                       ...once upon a time I had a '57 VW (the "economy"
model), with only one
sun visor and a fuel guage that was clipped to it. It was a manually set
odometer- the
theory being that when you refueled (open hood; no outside access to gas
tank), you
set the odometer for the approx. mileage you expected the fuel to last. At
that point,
look for a gas station or keep driving until the engine started to starve,
then you reached down and turned the lever on the front firewall to open the
reserve...Unless,
of course, you had forgotten to return it last time...No freon, no wiring,
and often, no
gas...
Tony in NJ (W.A.S.T.E.)   ...oh yes, since it was a 6 volt VW, I was often
stopped at night by the local police to inform me that my lights weren't on.
A quick check with
their multi-batteried flashlight informed them that, yes, the lights were on,
they just
weren't bright enough to be seen/be seein' by...