Re: Spindles

To: gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spindles
From: DGreimel@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 05:18:11 EST
Hi Greg.  Thanks for the reply.

I, and several of my morgan racing friends had our spidles heat treated
during the early 60`s. We all had +4s, mine was an SS.  The results were (a)
no more spindle flex pushing the pads back and creating a loss of brakes. (b)
no more broken spindles.
Spindle breakage was a very common problem in those days.  After the heat
treatment there was never another broken spindle even when a friend flipped
his car at Lime Rock and landed it on the LF wheel.  As you surely know, the
folks at Morgan knew little of metallurgy in those days.  The spindles and
the rear axles (using posi tract) were a constant problem until properly
treated.  They would not even register on a brinell tester.  I have the
spindles off my car in the process of decambering and was wondering whether
to have them treated or convert to the +8 units.  It sounds as though the
hubs would also require upgrading and it would surely be less expensive to
heat treat.  In 1962 New York it cost $6.00 each. No doubt that has changed
but I imagine that $50 would do it. It may not even be necesary with the 4/4.
While we are here - have you decambered your car?  I bought Hoosier Vintage
GT tyres, on your recommendation, and think that they should stand pretty
strait up. I see a lot of cars with serious decamber, on the order of 2
degrees, and think that would be rather much.  I was planning on one degree
and would appreciate our input.

Cheers!
Don Greimel
`66 4/4