RE: Wood Frame Assembly- no glue

To: "'A Hart Jr'" <arthart@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: Wood Frame Assembly- no glue
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 11:25:11 -0500
Art,

Thanks.  Makes sense.

Chuck

        ----------
        From:  A Hart Jr[SMTP:arthart@worldnet.att.net]
        Sent:  Thursday March 23, 2000 10:08 AM
        To:  Vandergraaf, Chuck
        Cc:  'FPS3@aol.com'; sseidler@easterndatacomm.com;
morgans@autox.team.net

        Chuck,

        The West System epoxy is of relatively low viscosity and will soak
into
        the wood before it cures making a much more effective barrier to
        moisture than the silicone sealant which will just sit on top of the
        wood and acts more like a dam to just divert the water just as it
does
        around your bathtub.

        Art Hart
        '64 +4

        "Vandergraaf, Chuck" wrote:

        > Fred,
        >
        > Thanks for setting me straight as far as the glue is concerned.
Guess
        > building car bodies and furniture are not the same. However, I
wonder, if
        > wood bodies are designed to flex, why they need to flex at the
joints and,
        > if they flex at the joints, would the joints not loosen over time.
        >
        > Another role glue plays is to fill whatever gaps there are in the
wood and
        > thus prevent moisture penetrating the wood.  Pre-treating the wood
with a
        > wood preservative or, as John Blair has done, using the West
System epoxy