RE: Wire Wheels and Tubes

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Wire Wheels and Tubes
From: Phil Roettjer <Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 06:36:48 -0700
Steve,
I have been driving on wire wheels for about 30 years and I can count on one
hand all the flat tires I have ever experienced. So something is really
wrong if you are getting half a dozen flats a season. Are you getting them
all on the same wheel or  is it random among the five (counting the spare)?
When you repair the tire can you determine where the tube is leaking? It
almost sounds like you may have some spokes that are protruding too far
through the nipple?

Anyway you should have a rubber insert to protect the tube from damage from
the spokes, but usually they are only found on the inner spokes and not on
the ones that tie into the outer portion of the rim. I usually cut in half
another insert and place it over the outer spokes. It is also good practice
to run tape over the inserts and duct tape works pretty well. The next thing
is when you are installing the new tube apply the white powder inside the
tire. This powder usually comes in a small packet with the tube and provides
some lubrication so that the tube can seat properly. After the tube is
installed fill it with air once and then let all the air back out. Again
this is to allow the tube to seat properly.

The only other thing I can think of is are you installing the correct size
tube? If you try to put one in that is too large they will fold over and
crease. You can see this when you remove an old tube. You should use a good
quality tube. The ones from Moss Motors are a good street quality. You can
also get a very heavy duty race quality tube from Sasco Sports
(804-7930777).

The bottom line is you are having flats for a reason and you need to keep
looking until you discover why. Once you correct the primary problem you
should only have the occasional flat every few years. No matter how well you
do all the above it still won't eliminate the occasional nail.

Good luck,
Phil Roettjer
67 Morgan +4
67 MGB