Re: Feeling like Steve McQueen

To: SDviewpnt@aol.com
Subject: Re: Feeling like Steve McQueen
From: John Stanton <jjs3rd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 14:10:40 -0400
Ok,

You got me it was 50.  Attached is critical review of the movie.

As a prelude to the film's memorable, comic egg-eating contest scene,
Dragline bets on his boy Luke: "He can eat busted bottles and rusty
nails, any damned thing." Luke boldly wagers that he can eat fifty
hard-boiled eggs in one hour. [The number 50 becomes significant - since
there are 50 prisoners' souls and 50 eggs, Luke's ingesting of the eggs
parallels Christ's taking upon himself the sins of the world and
bringing about a rebirth. Eggs, the celebration of Easter, and the
resurrection are symbolically tied together.] The men exuberantly bet
against him, disbelieving that he can perform the miracle without
throwing up: "Fifty eggs gotta weigh a good six pounds...A man's gut
can't hold that. They'll swell up and bust him open....They're gonna
kill him." Remarkably, Luke takes the challenge - it's raining and the
activity will pass the time: "It be somethin' to do." After a period of
preparatory training, stretching his stomach's skin to make room for the
eggs ("What we gotta do is stretch that little ol' belly of yours. Get
all this stuff out of the way. Them eggs are coming down!"), and eating
speed tests, Luke is about ready. He sits on his top bunk with a towel
draped over his head [another Christ image].