RE: Feeling like Steve McQueen

To: "'John Karlsson'" <karlsson@edgenet.net>
Subject: RE: Feeling like Steve McQueen
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 22:41:55 -0400
John,

>From what I recall when I owned a 1952 TD, that would have been quite a
feat, what with the steering wheel in place.  I don't recall there being
that much room between the steering wheel and the seat.

I know, I'm not doing much to nudge this thread back to Morgans but let me
try.  Just after I got my 1952 +4, back in the '60s when I was a grad.
student, I noted that the steering wheel could be removed quite easily.  By
undoing the nut on the steering wheel (no, not me, a real nut), the steering
wheel could be lifted off the steering column.  Anyway, to play a trick on
my girlfriend, I undid the nut almost the whole way and then drove "somewhat
erratic" for about half a block in non-existing traffic.  This caused the
expected response: "watch out what you're doing; you're driving like an
idiot," or words to that effect.  When we came to a red light, I simply
pulled the steering wheel off the steering column and handed it to her with
"here, if you think you can drive better." That left her speechless.  She
married me anyway and still is my "helpmate," some 30+ years later and
counting.

Chuck Vandergraaf
Pinawa, MB