RIP R&T (or what happened to Road&Track?)

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: RIP R&T (or what happened to Road&Track?)
From: mga <mga@napanet.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 09:08:55 -0700 (PDT)
Fellow MG enthusiasts,

I've subscribed to R&T since the '60's, and have a collection that goes back
to the late '40's.  The devolution of this magazine is very sad.  At first
it was just an amateur enthusiast newsletter; then it grew into a wonderful,
informative and creative magazine.  Now, it is basically a sales catalogue
for new cars with a few boring articles inserted between the ads.  When it
arrives in the mail now, I find that I can read what I want in it in about 5
minutes.  If I take a few old issues from my collection to read again, I
could spend hours with them!

I know it was bought and sold several times.  Did it get burdened with a
debt service that requires that the thing be full of ads?  Is there a
conspiracy to destroy everything that I like or love (family-owned
businesses, old-growth forests, cars with personality, politicians with a
heart, beautiful music, etc.)?  Or am I just getting old?

Anyone have any comments on this?

Don Scott