RE: RIP R&T (or what happened to Road&Track?)

To: morgans@autox.team.net, "'mga'" <mga@napanet.net>
Subject: RE: RIP R&T (or what happened to Road&Track?)
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 22:06:34 -0400
Don,

Funny you should mention this.  Just yesterday, I was "sort of" cleaning up
my "den," (a.k.a. my room in the basement) and came across a pile of R&Ts of
the early 1990 ... and a copy of the December 1958 issue featuring the Alfa
Romeo BAT-9.  When I compared that issue with the 1990 vintage, I remembered
why I stopped subscribing to R&T about five years ago.  When the spirit
moves me, I wander over to the local public library and leaf through the
latest issue.  I wonder why I'm keeping the 1990 vintage copies.

Between subscriptions, I would buy an R&T issue that had an article about
Morgans, but I haven't done that for a while either, lately.

In addition to the negative things you mention, R&T won't say anything
negative about the cars they feature, until the next model comes out.  Only
then will they point out the shortcomings of the model it replaced. Mind
you, I probably can't afford 95+% of the cars they do test, so some of the
criticism is academic.

Chuck Vandergraaf
Pinawa, MB
'52 +4

I'm with you as far as old growth forests, cars with personality, good music
and family-owned businesses go but I'll be honest enough to admit to
shopping at Home Depot and enjoying the security of modern cars.