RE: RIP R&T (or what happened to Road&Track?)

To: "'Stuart J. Ross'" <stuross@nac.net>
Subject: RE: RIP R&T (or what happened to Road&Track?)
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 09:35:04 -0400
Stuart,

You've hit the proverbial nail on the head.  To your quote "you don't bite
the hand that feeds you," I can add, "we get what we pay for."  Glossy
magazines do not come cheap, so subscriptions to R&T and, practically all
publications, have to be subsidized by somebody and those "somebodies" are
the advertisers. Consumer Reports does what it is supposed to, but car
aficionados don't always like its conclusions because we place value on some
intangibles that are not readily quantified and that differ amongst drivers.
For example, I really like the Ferrari-like grille on the current Chrysler
Concorde.  However, it probably does nothing to enhance the durability of
the car, nor does it increase the width of the seats or improve the fuel
consumption.  I do check the reliability reported by Consumer Reports when
shopping for used cars or when buying such "boring" items as lawnmowers.

Chuck