Need help /w '48 starter

To: morgans@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Need help /w '48 starter
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 20:35:41 -0400
Hey gang,

  This weekend we (my dad & I) took several vechiles ('48 TR1800, 63 Harley
Hummer, & 65 Morgan) to the local AACA meet.  When we went to leave the
TR 1800 would NOT start.  We ended up putting it in the trailer and towing
her home.  Today we trouble shot the car.  The starter was getting power,
but it wouldn't turn over.  So we pulled it off the car.  On the bench
it would not turn over either, however, the armature was free, and turned
freely.  It's going down to the auto electric shop tomorrow to hopefully
be rebuilt.

  To you historians - I've looked through all my old Lucas Catalogues and
can't come up with any info on the starter.  I'd like to find out all I
can about it - ie what else it was used on, etc., and I'd like to find
a spare one.  The info on the starter case is:

   Lucas M418G GC24
   255986
   12V   6 48

I'm not sure about the G in the 418G.  It might be a 6, or a O.  Pretty
sure it's a G though.

If anyone happens to have any info on this starter, or a spare they're
willing to part with, I'd really appreciate any help I can get.

John

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org