Re: Gas tank removal

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gas tank removal
From: smanwell <smanwell@sprintmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 21:42:47 -0400
John,

I replaced the tank in my '57 4/4 this Spring.

I jacked up the car, then supported the wheels on blocks to deflect the
springs upward as far as possible.  After unbolting the tank from the
supporting plywood and the plywood from the chassis frame, I was able to
slide the wood forward under the axle and drop the tank downward in
front of the rear cross member.  I gather that cars of this vintage
should have ash planks supporting the tank and they may be thicker than
the plywood in my car.  I guess that would call for more weight in the
car to deflect the springs.

Make sure you tighten up the rear bumper bracket-to-frame bolts after
the wood is back in place, but before the tank is in place.  Otherwise
they are very difficult to get at.

-Steve Manwell

P.S. It is a little known fact that a 4/4 gas tank will fit in a
large-ish suitcase. My wife kindly transported our new tank this way
from Malvern to Massachusetts.