Re: Stupid question

To: Morgan List <morgans@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Stupid question
From: lmg@gomog.com
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 11:44:07 -0500
>From Ross Jones

> I have a 1987 4/4 and recently had to use the heat/defroster. Underneath and
> to the left of the steering wheel is a black knob with an "H" on it. This is
> connected to a cable. Usually, when I pulled the knob out, heat came to the
> floor area.

The cable runs through the bulkhead and attaches to a valve that opens
and closes the flow of hot coolant into the heater box. It is a 3 inch
round brass affair with hose aand cable attached in front of the
bulkhead heater box)  If you pull the knob it opens the valve and if you
push it closes the valve. I imagine with a Herculean effort it is very
possible to break the thing. (A new one is expensive but available).

The heater system continues into the car with a matching box underneath
the dash which contains the fan. The fan runs on a completely separate
system so it will work whether you have the valve open or not like any
car. This box also has two flap doors on either side which are opened
when you need heat. LMG

> Yesterday I pulled the knob out, which was tight, and I pulled pretty hard.
> I must have damaged something. My brake light went on and stayed on for
> about 30 min. In the past, the rocker switch for the defrost had two
> speeds - halfway down for low, all the way down for fast. Now the rocker
> switch still has two stops, but only has one speed (can't tell if it is low
> or high). The fan still works.

The brake lights worries me they have nothing to do with the heater. It
is controlled by two wires which enter the plastic cap of the brake
master cylinder which is right under the heater valve, coming out near
the bottom of the bulkhead in the engine compartment. I am hoping that
these connectors are coincidentally dirty rather than the valve is
leaking coolant from the valve onto the connections. Check your coolant
level. If it is fine...clean or change the little connectors in the
brake master cap.

If you are speaking of the dash indicator brake light see George Dow's
comment.

> Tonight I discovered another black knob under the dashboard, directly in the
> center of the car. This knob pulls in and out also, but seems to have no
> effect. Reading my manual, it seems this center knob should be pushed in for
> heat. But I have always had it pushed in, and never felt any heat in the
> summer, etc.

The only other switch I know of in black is the dimmer switch for the
dash. You will need a dark garage or nighttime to check its functioning
easily...or look into the big gauges from the side.

> While checking this out, I also found a switch on the dash and I have no
> idea what it's for. There are five rocker switches, and the second one in
> from the right has an orange rectangle in the center. I have no idea what
> this is for, and the manual does not mention it.

>From right to left, Parking/headlights, Rear Fog Lamps (normally an
unused switch), Emergency flashers, Rad Fan switch and finally Front Fog
Lamps. These switches break if you even look atn them angrily and are
hard to find and their prices are silly. Four Elms Morgan has a special
deal for a set of all switches at the moment. Buy them. They are very
easy to fit with a tiny bit of care.

Lorne
http://www.gomog.com