SV: [Chassis Painting]

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: SV: [Chassis Painting]
From: Harald Sakshaug <harald.sakshaug@datapower.no>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 11:00:32 +0100
I use an Offshore paint called Jotamastic 87. The stuff is used on Norwegian
Offshore installations. The stuff is painted onto bare metal and dropped
into the ocean. This stuff is very poisonous and fresh air mask is required,
but it is so hard one need to use some kind of grinding tool to get it off.
The paint contains zink, and is self repairing (if it is at all possible to
scratch this paint ;).

The paint is a two component and hardens a 100%. Rock hard and in different
colours. The paint can be coated with 2K acrylic carpaint without problems,
and it looks very good having the cars original shiny colours under the
wings on autoshows !

I would presume it is difficult to sand blast this paint off the car, and it
must be applied with a hight pressure spray gun, or by a paint brush. I
usually paint it with a brush, and dip the brush on the surfaces creating a
"undercoat lookalike" surface. And if you have "ugly" looking welds (like
me), the paint will cover them perfectly... ;)

The paint cost about $65 pr. 3 litres and is definately worth the price.
Once applied you can forget all about corrotion. I have used it
silvercoloured on frames, and black under the car. Wonderful stuff, but
makes your brain into a sponge within minutes if you don't wear a carbon
filter mask, or preferably fresh air mask. (Paint outdoors, use carbon mask)
You may find product on Jotuns pages at:

www.jotun.com  search for jotamastic 87, there is a product brochure and
pictures.

Brgs,
Harald Sakshaug