Re: [Chassis Painting]

To: webster <carfindr@tiac.net>
Subject: Re: [Chassis Painting]
From: John Bigler <jbigler@sprintmail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 21:34:49 -0500
Hi everyone,

As to powder coating, I had a rusty (but sandblasted) car-hauling
trailer powder coated, thinking the polymer would fill in the rust pits
and give me a beautiful rust resistant result.  But, I was surprised
that the polymer adhered best to the smooth new metal, giving a thick
glossy coat, but gave very poor coverage of the rough, rust pitted
spots.  Even worse, the valleys where the cross members and side rails
met were coated the least !!

Apparently, the electrostatic charges that draw the powdered metal to
the heated metal surface are strongest where the metal is smooth and
where the metal extends out from the main structure.  Although I have
not powder coated a Morgan chassis, I would be concerned that the
junctions between the cross members and the chassis side rails, and the
other junctions, etc., would get very poor coverage and be vulnerable to
rust almost immediately.

Also, the powder coating is dissolved by products like Loctite.

John Bigler
'48 Sr I, '57 Sr II, '59 4/4 w/Devin body