RE: Thread and size of wheel studs...?

To: "'Kerry Seibert'" <ckchapel@fast.net>, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Thread and size of wheel studs...?
From: "DeLuca, Joseph" <Joseph.DeLuca@pfizer.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 18:48:09 -0500
That reminds me of an old and very off-color joke
(not fit for this audience!)

However, when I said the hole was too small, I meant
the center hole through which the hub must project.

The front hub on my drum-braked '57 has a tapered
cone-like shape with about a 3.25" dia. at the base.
The wheel on the other hand has a 3" hole in the
center. This prevents the wheel from laying flush
against the drum. Either the hole in the wheel must
be bigger (3.26"), or I need spacers to elevate the
wheel to a higher point on the hub where the diameter
is narrower due to the taper (mucking up the offset).

Then, of course, I need the correct lug bolts or else
all four wheels will fall off almost immediately.

And another gripe I have with Motor Sports Specialties.
They sent me five wheels, but only four sets of (useless)
lug bolts. I know... it's like complaining that airline
food stinks and the portions are too small.

Meanwhile, Greg Solow thinks the studs are metric and
about 14mm x 1.25 (not Whitless). He's going to find out
exactly tomorrow. I'll pass on the news when it comes in.

Joe D