Re: [oletrucks] Bed Wood Question

To: "Tom Burt" <tburt@hirose.com>, "'miq@teleport.com'" <miq@teleport.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Bed Wood Question
From: "Kevin Lake" <lakek@oit.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 13:33:18 -0800
Rather than using a poly-urethane or synthetic based preservative, you
might try a good oil based finish.  You may have to reapply it every year
or so, but it will protect without pealing.  My brother used tongue oil on
his (I think), but you might ask your local paint store.  As for hardwood,
the nicest looking bed I have ever seen was done in black walnut (can you
say "second mortgage" I new you could. 8^).  The guy had a custom cabinet
shop cut the boards for him with all the metal hardware done in either
chrome or polished stainless (I couldn't tell).  This was all done to a
bright yellow mid 60's Chevy short bed with a black interior and very
custom body work and suspension (would have scraped on a sheet of typing
paper) (Spokane, WA Car/Boat/Truck show).  Take care.  Have fun with your
decision.

Kevin Lake 56 napco/burb GMC