Re: [oletrucks] Steering Box Lube

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Steering Box Lube
From: "Allen L. Jones" <ALJ@hartcrowser.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 08:46:53 -0800
Check out the archives.  Jim Forbes listed a Chevrolet part number for tubes of
"steering gear lube" that consists of a mixture of grease and oil that does not
separate.  (Sounds like what you originally had in your box)  It is perfect for
old steering boxes in that it has less of a tendency to leak out the seals and
provides the necessary lubrication.  I ordered some and it works great.

>>> "Paul W. Franchina" <pfoxtrot@gate.net> 02/12/99 06:09AM >>>
I'm a bit confused at what goes in my steering box for lubrication.
I've

got it all nicely rebuilt and back in the truck. Ready for it's
lifeblood

lubrication. I've checked the owners manual and the service manual I
have

and they're both as vague as can be. Must have been written by budding

politicians. Anyway, when I took the unit apart it had an "near grease"
in

it. It sure wasn't gear oil (much much thicker) but wasn't quite the

consistency of wheel bearing grease (it would just barely flow). It was

greenish brown in color with light colored particles in suspension. It

seemed like the ideal stuff, but I can't find it anywhere. Can anyone
tell

me what I had in there based on my description above? Can anyone tell
me

what's best to put in or at least a factory based recommendation? I

remember reading someplace about using a grease with a dash of gear oil

added at the last to provide splash lubrication to the upper cone
bearing

on the steering shaft.

TYIA

Paul W. Franchina
pfoxtrot@gate.net

& Boris: 1958 Chevrolet Apache 3100 Stepside