Re: [oletrucks] steering box lube

To: kinghorn@granite.mb.ca, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] steering box lube
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 00:48:02 EST
In a message dated 99-02-13 21:53:41 EST, kinghorn@granite.mb.ca writes:

<< To:  oletrucks@autox.team.net

 In a Motors Manual as well as a factory GM Service Manual that pertains to
 my 1952 Chev 1300 pick up the instructions for filling the steering box are
 as follows:

 DO NOT FILL THE BOX WITH OIL

 The steering box is to be filled through the pipe plug opening on the top of
 the box with the top sidecover bolt above the adjustment screw removed.
 GREASE is to be pumped into the steering box until the grease comes out
 through the bolt hole.  The bolt is to then be reinstalled and the steering
 box topped off with 80-90 W gear oil.

 From experience if you rebuild the gear box and fill it with oil, even with
 new seals and everything in perfect condition it will leak.  If you drain
 the oil and fill it as specifed above the leaks stop, the internal
 mechanisims get the lube that they need and the box works as it should.  Any
 comments?

  Although I'm not one to argue with a manual, I will give you my experience
on two boxes, one on my '57 and one on my '59.

  Neither box has ever been rebuilt or take apart (I can say this for sure on
the '57, the '59 was last tagged on '62, so it had been at least that long).
On both trucks, I filled with Power Punch, it's kinda like STP in consistency.
The bottom thrust was tightened, as well as the top worm nut.  That's the only
work I've done to the boxes, other than drill out the top plug, crossways,
then up to the bottom, to allow a vent.

  I filled both to the top of the plug hole, after about a week or two of
driving, I noticed a slight seep out the vent hole I drilled, I cleaned it off
and have never seen a oil film since.

  I'd guesstimate that if the box is not vented, and the oil gets hot from the
exhaust pipe, then it has to push it's way past the seals in the box.

  That's my experience, for what it's worth.

  Mike