Re: [oletrucks] Steering Box Lube

To: pfoxtrot@gate.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Steering Box Lube
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 11:56:03 EST
In a message dated 99-02-12 09:14:05 EST, pfoxtrot@gate.net writes:

<< To:  oletrucks@autox.team.net (oletrucks)

 I'm a bit confused at what goes in my steering box for lubrication.
 I've

 got it all nicely rebuilt and back in the truck. Ready for it's
 lifeblood

 lubrication. I've checked the owners manual and the service manual I
 have

 and they're both as vague as can be. Must have been written by budding

 politicians. Anyway, when I took the unit apart it had an "near grease"
 in

 it. It sure wasn't gear oil (much much thicker) but wasn't quite the

 consistency of wheel bearing grease (it would just barely flow). It was

 greenish brown in color with light colored particles in suspension. It

 seemed like the ideal stuff, but I can't find it anywhere. Can anyone
 tell

 me what I had in there based on my description above? Can anyone tell
 me

 what's best to put in or at least a factory based recommendation? I

 remember reading someplace about using a grease with a dash of gear oil

 added at the last to provide splash lubrication to the upper cone
 bearing

 on the steering shaft.

 TYIA

 Paul W. Franchina
pfoxtrot@gate.net

  Might catch some crap here from the purist, but mine was packed in grease,
what I did was fill it with some real thick oil additive called "PowerPunch",
stuff is thick like STP, I then cross drilled the top plug in the box and
drilled up through the middle of the plug from the inside up, to vent it.
  I was just too lazy to take it apart and repack it I guess, but it's been
fine (never rebuilt, only thighten up at the same time) for the last 5 years.

  Mike