Re: [oletrucks] gas tank restore question

To: varanus@mail.phoenix.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] gas tank restore question
From: Joe Clark <jclark1@utk.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 15:17:41 -0500
Eric:
There are several approaches to this, one being the do-it-yourself cleaning
and sealing kits.  What I did was to go to a radiator shop, they boiled the
tank out (took a couple of weeks to get rid of all the crud) and then they
sealed it inside and out.  It's guaranteed not to leak; about $150.00.
Anyway, some of the home kits are cheaper but may not work as well if the
crud is pretty stubborn.  I think I'd do that before I did any cutting.
(Welders sometimes are a little skittish about welding gas tanks anyway!).
Joe
50 3100

At 01:12 PM 2/17/99 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi:  I have this 58 suburban and the gas tank is in excellent
>condition on the outside. But crap keeps coming out of it even after
>repeated gas tank treatments.  I don't want to buy another gas tank
>if this one is still good.
>
>I was thinking of cutting it neatly in half along the original seam
>and cleaning and polishing the inside. Then put on the best coating I
>can find - or whatever one would do to bring it back to original
>perfectly functioning condition.  And re-welding it back together,
>grind the welds and paint it.
>
>I realize that it would take a skilled welder to do this correctly
>and I have someone in mind who could do it.
>
>What do you all think?
>Eric

Joe Clark, Southern Appalachian Field Laboratory