Re: [oletrucks] Tail light mounting?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net, tcape <tcape@weblnk.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Tail light mounting?
From: Alan Gingles <agingles@nucleus.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 22:24:58 -0800
tcape wrote:

> Glad you guys brought this up.  My significant other gave me a set of
> original taillights for my '47 and I was all ready to put them on when I
> realized that the PO had sealed up all the old holes.  I have been wondering
> exactly where to redrill the holes for mounting the taillights.  The
> passenger side bracket and light is easy...it should fit fine on the rear of
> the stake pocket.  However, if I mount the bracket and light on the driver's
> side ...and on the rear of the stake pocket...it interferes with the opening
> of the tailgate.  Maybe...as Mike and Alan have said...the correct mounting
> for my truck is on the FRONT of the stake pocket.  Duh...I never thought of
> that.  I'm gonna check it out today.
>
> BTW, I got blue dot lenses for both taillights.  Question...were blue dot
> lenses available as a factory option, a dealer option, or neither....and
> just added on by people who like them?
> Tom Caperton
> '47 2nd 3100
Tom,

I believe the blue-dots were an aftermarket item, added by people who
liked them. In a number of states and provinces they were illegal, and
probably still are! They are illegal here in Alberta, but I've never
heard of anyone getting a ticket for them, and they are used on the
majority of rods and customs here. I've had them in my old T-bucket, the
luggage trailer I built, as well as the '48. Have fun!

Alan Gingles
1948 Chevy "1314"
http://www.nucleus.com/~agingles