Re: [oletrucks] Radiator Mystery

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Radiator Mystery
From: "ROGER GLEASON" <rogerg@maverick.facil.uconn.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 13:16:41 -500
> From:          Banjomike@aol.com
> Date:          Mon, 1 Mar 1999 11:36:46 EST
> To:            oletrucks@autox.team.net
> Subject:       [oletrucks] Radiator Mystery

> Hey everybody--
>
> I'm hoping someone can solve this problem.  Recently the old radiator in my
> 'bus ('55 235 engine) gave out.  I went to the junk yard and found one that
> bolted in and was approximately the same size as my old one (length wise, I
> think it is is a couple inches short.  When I put it in, it didn't leak and I
> thought I was done.  Drove it around and it overheated.  No problem, bought a
> new  thermostat.  It helped a little, but not enough.  Took the thermostat out
> all together, and it still overheated.  Last week end I took the radiator out,
> had it cleaned and recored---still overheats, but the temperature stays at a
> level just to the right of the middle of the (original) gauge.
>
> I'm pretty sure the gauge is OK.  Is it the size of the radiator?  Is it the
> radiator cap? I don't know what it came out of, but I found it in the truck
> section of the junkyard.
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
>
> Mike
> Inland Empire Beater Club

Did you put the thermostat back in? Did you run the truck up to
operating temp then check the coolant level in the radiator... should
be a couple inches below the cap or top...refill if found lower...
Did you check the fan belt tension?... At operating temp with
thermostat installed the water should be circulating (look in fill
cap)... Note : when replacing the radiator, after you fill with
coolant, you can run the engine without the cap on the radiator while
warming it up so you don't have to pull the cap while system is under
pressure...If there is no flow at temp. the waterpump could be
shot...Or a collapsed bottom hose could be happening... to check
this out rev the engine while looking at the bottom hose and see if
it flattens in the midsection when revving... Spring inside may be
gone. Did you put the fan shroud back on??/ Did it have one?

Rogerg
51-3100 AD Stocker