[oletrucks] Radiator Mystery

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Radiator Mystery
From: NSurles@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 21:51:30 EST
Boy, this line brings back memories.

A few years ago my temperature gauge stopped working at all.  (235, 55 2nd)  I
tried a few things but could not quickly fix it.  Since it was my only way
back & forth to work, I just kept driving.

One day, I smelled that "hot radiator" fluid smell.  (My old firewall grommets
let a wee bit of engine air get through.)  I stopped and sure enough, a hose
was leaking and the water was nearly gone.

I walked to the nearest house and got a gallon of water.  Filled it up and
drove to NAPA.

This lasted a couple of years, until the smell came back.  Discovered the
radiator tank was leaking in the middle.  Radiator shop said wasn't worth it
to repair.  So, I just run it with the cap loose, first notch only.  I'm
ashamed to admit that this has been going on for 6 years now.

Just shows you how tough these ole trucks really are!

Sonny