Re: [oletrucks] Radiator Mystery

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Radiator Mystery
From: rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com (Rob J.)
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 18:45:08 GMT
On Mon, 1 Mar 1999 13:16:41 -500, you wrote:

>> From:          Banjomike@aol.com
>> Date:          Mon, 1 Mar 1999 11:36:46 EST
>> To:            oletrucks@autox.team.net
>> Subject:       [oletrucks] Radiator Mystery
>
>> Hey everybody--
>>
>> I'm hoping someone can solve this problem.  Recently the old radiator in my
>> 'bus ('55 235 engine) gave out.  I went to the junk yard and found one that
>> bolted in and was approximately the same size as my old one (length wise, I
>> think it is is a couple inches short.  When I put it in, it didn't leak and I
>> thought I was done.  Drove it around and it overheated.  No problem, bought a
>> new  thermostat.  It helped a little, but not enough.  Took the thermostat
>out
>> all together, and it still overheated.  Last week end I took the radiator
>out,
>> had it cleaned and recored---still overheats, but the temperature stays at a
>> level just to the right of the middle of the (original) gauge.

Mike,

If the temperature is staying constant, and if the gauge just shows a slightly
higher temp., but it is not "boiling over", then I don't know if I would worry.
This radiator, being slightly smaller, simply can not cool as efficiently as the
original, and therefore the engine is running hotter.  This shouldn't be a
problem, unless a LOT hotter, but your post doesn't make this clear.  Just
curious though, if you had a radiator cleaned and recored, why not the original?

Rob