[oletrucks] Stovebolt Engine Stand Update

To: "'oletrucks@autox.team.net'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Stovebolt Engine Stand Update
From: "Nelson, Jeff - DTC" <jnelson@paducah.k12.ky.us>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 08:21:38 -0600
Last week I asked for input from the group on the best way to place my
235 on an engine stand. The consensus was to remove clutch, flywheel,
and bell housing and use the stand as designed. That's what I did last
weekend. You can see the results at my website at:

        http://www.chevytrucks.org/users/jeff/restore/index.htm

Removing the clutch and flywheel was not as big a job as I had
anticipated, particularly since I went to my local NAPA store and bought
a flywheel turner. Next step is to roll the frame outside and use engine
gunk and a pressure washer to clean the frame and suspension as much as
possible. When the frame is clean, front and rear suspensions come off
and I begin the process of clean, paint, repair, replace, and rebuild.

As an aside, someone (I think it was Rob but I've deleted the message)
pointed me to a discounter on the web who had flywheel turners
advertised for $2.99. I paid $28 dollars at NAPA. Am I crazy? I hope not
and my reasoning goes back to some of the discussion we had recently on
the change in buying habits of Americans. I try to purchase locally
whenever possible to help pay the salaries of members of my community.
If I have a choice, I will purchase from a locally owned store rather
than a corporate owned store. Whenever possible I buy American
manufactured items over foreign manufactured. Even if we are in the
"Information Age", I truly believe that a country is in serious trouble
if it continues to allow it's manufacturing capacity to move off shore.
Price is my last criteria. It may not be your approach, but it works for
me.

Jeff Nelson
Paducah, KY
1953 3600