Re: [oletrucks] 235 Fan Wanted

To: rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com, ALJ@hartcrowser.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 235 Fan Wanted
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 01:07:26 EST
rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com writes:

<<  >But do you think if I had the stock fan magnifluxed and it checked out,
that it would be ok?  I like the stock look.  Are there any replacement fans
that are "close" to stock out there?

 Everything is probably relative.  I am using my stock fan (even had to put it
in
 a shop press to take just a "wee" bit of pitch out of the blade to get it to
 fit), and it has not yet thrown a blade, but you never know when that might
 happen?  It has gone across country twice and is still running strong.  I am
not
 disputing what jack is saying, as IF he is correct, and I have just been
lucky,
 then it is GREAT advice.  However, the other side of the issue is that maybe
HIS
 and ONLY his fan was defective?  I don't guess this solves your dilemma
Allen,
 but maybe it will bring out a couple of other success or failure stories, and
 then maybe you can draw on the "majority"?

 Rob >>

  I never thought about a newer fan until the thread started awhile back, I
think it's a good idea...anytime you can improve on an older design, I say go
for it, if you're not looking for an original restoration.  With that
said........my '59 with the 235 lives at 3000 rpms (until I get off my lazy
butt and assemble my 3.54 rearend).  I run the truck about a 170 mile round
trip twice a month, all highway driving, and have taken several trip from here
in the Bay Area to Reno and Tahoe in it.  Again all at 3000 rpm's.

  So to sum it up, I guess it would be a good idea to replace the fan with a
modern one, but haven't had any problem yet.

  And for what it's worth, I run a 160 Tstat, no fan shroud and the temp has
NEVER gone over 180 degrees, pulling Donner Summit both ways, loaded with
700-800 pounds of Peterbilt parts, in the dead of Summer.
  Stock 235, stock radiator.

  Mike