Re: [oletrucks] 235 Fan Wanted

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 235 Fan Wanted
From: Wayne Osborne <wcosborne@inetnow.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 07:00:26 -0500
On my old work truck, it has a slot in the hood where a fan blade
came off and went through it.  This happened oh probably back
in 1970, I recall my dad just a cussin'.  Of course this was a stock
fan----maybe there was a recall and we all missed it.........  Wayne

t 01:07 AM 3/5/99 EST, you wrote:
>In a message dated 3/4/99 1:16:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com writes:
>
><<  >But do you think if I had the stock fan magnifluxed and it checked out,
>that it would be ok?  I like the stock look.  Are there any replacement fans
>that are "close" to stock out there?
>
> Everything is probably relative.  I am using my stock fan (even had to put it
>in
> a shop press to take just a "wee" bit of pitch out of the blade to get it to
> fit), and it has not yet thrown a blade, but you never know when that might
> happen?  It has gone across country twice and is still running strong.  I am
>not
> disputing what jack is saying, as IF he is correct, and I have just been
>lucky,
> then it is GREAT advice.  However, the other side of the issue is that maybe
>HIS
> and ONLY his fan was defective?  I don't guess this solves your dilemma
>Allen,
> but maybe it will bring out a couple of other success or failure stories, and
> then maybe you can draw on the "majority"?
>
> Rob >>
>
>  I never thought about a newer fan until the thread started awhile back, I
>think it's a good idea...anytime you can improve on an older design, I say go
>for it, if you're not looking for an original restoration.  With that
>said........my '59 with the 235 lives at 3000 rpms (until I get off my lazy
>butt and assemble my 3.54 rearend).  I run the truck about a 170 mile round
>trip twice a month, all highway driving, and have taken several trip from here
>in the Bay Area to Reno and Tahoe in it.  Again all at 3000 rpm's.
>
>  So to sum it up, I guess it would be a good idea to replace the fan with a
>modern one, but haven't had any problem yet.
>
>  And for what it's worth, I run a 160 Tstat, no fan shroud and the temp has
>NEVER gone over 180 degrees, pulling Donner Summit both ways, loaded with
>700-800 pounds of Peterbilt parts, in the dead of Summer.
>  Stock 235, stock radiator.
>
>  Mike

---------
                 http://www.chevytrucks.org/users/wayne
For a quick view of oletrucks mailing list members trucks go to:
         http://www.chevytrucks.org/users/wayne/member.html