Re: [oletrucks] 235 Fan Wanted

To: "Allen L. Jones" <ALJ@hartcrowser.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 235 Fan Wanted
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 21:17:49 -0500
Allen, Rob, et al,

My fan showed a clean break at the base of one blade; all the other blades
were OK with no sign of cracks. When shopping for replacements, I noted that
all modern fans are certified for a certain RPM level - I have no idea what
the original fan was rated for.
If you don't wing the motor too much,  you may never have a problem.

I didn't check junkyards but it's pretty likely that some later GM fan from
a V8 or maybe a 230 or 250 I6 would probably fit, and look more like the
original. None of the flex fans I tried would work on my truck - too much
pitch, the blades hit the PS pump. Also I didn't like the razor sharp edges
on the stainless blades. What I ended up using was a 6-blade fan with rigid
alloy blades (had to look around a few FLAPS to find one without blue or red
anodized blades). I think it carries a 8000 RPM rating.

I have only had two component failures on my GMC 302 in 40K plus miles. A
pressure plate explosion, and the fan blade incident. Both were original 45
year old  parts, and both happened at about 5000 RPM. I have also had
problems with the damper pulley retaining bolt and flywheel bolts working
loose (both fixed by using epoxy instead of Loctite). Note that these are
all reciprocating components.  You can draw your own conclusions - mine were
that, given the way I like to drive, the original pieces were an accident
waiting to happen. Your results may vary.

Jack / Winter Park FL