Re: Re: [oletrucks] Off-topic: Older vs. Newer vehicles- which is safer

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re: [oletrucks] Off-topic: Older vs. Newer vehicles- which is safer?
From: MarkNoakes@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 17:45:57 EST
Agreed Rob--The US legal environment nearly killed private avation in this
country for exactly that reason; settlements drive up prices to consumers.

Mark Noakes

<<On Fri, 5 Mar 1999 09:37:57 -0800, you wrote:

>Lewis:
>This is a fun one...
>You're right on with the stats.
>
>Personnally, I think that this is a two-sided case.  If I were in the jury,
>I guess I would go for the plaintiff as well (just out of spite for McDs -
>big bucks).

The other side of the coin:  these excessively large settlements only benefit
two people.  The plaintiff, and their attorney(ies).  Who is hurt?  You and I.
We get higher prices as a result.  Is MickeyD's affected?  I assure  you they
don't dip into their profits to cover the settlement, they just raise prices.
Just wanted to throw that out if you or others get a chance to sit on one of
these ridiculous cases.  If someone is injured through negligence of a
company,
they deserve compensation, but maybe it should be a reasonable compensation.
There was NOTHING reasonable about a 2-million dollar judgement for the damage
done.  Trying to make a point to the company doesn't hurt the company, but it
does hurt the rest of us and DOES have a snow-ball (copy-cat) affect and is
now
rampant and we are all paying daily.