Re: [oletrucks] Off-topic: Older vs. Newer vehicles- which is safer?

To: <oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Off-topic: Older vs. Newer vehicles- which is safer?
From: "Lewis Osborn" <losborn@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 21:09:41 -0800
From: Tom Burt <tburt@hirose.com>

>SOAP BOX, SOAP BOX TIME!!!
>The reason the lady won the case with MacDonalds (MD) coffie burn was
>because her prosecuting attorneys found out that MD superheats
(pressure
>and temp) their coffie to get a better yeild out of their grounds.
This is
>a landmark case that brought about the warning labels on the cups.  A
>reasonable cause I think.

Gotta comment on this one.  That "super hot" coffee had generated some
700 complaints in several (I don't remember the exact number) of years
prior to the law suit.  The jury's original award of ~$3 million was
based upon the money McD's made from their coffee in a 24 hour period.
At $0.50 a cup, that's 6 million cups of coffee a DAY.  Your calculator
had better be capable of scientific notation if you hope to get an
answer on those percentages.  A McD's customer had a LOT better chance
of winning the lottery than being burned by a cup of their coffee.  You
know, I'll bet that McD's gets more than that many complaints that the
coffee is too cold - or too weak - or too strong.

Heck, if I'd have pulled a stunt like that, I'd have done my best to
make sure that nobody ever found out how stupid I'd been.

So, I can't agree that the cause was reasonable, I'm afraid.

Lewis - K7LVO Valley of the Rogue-Medford, OR
"The Forty" - 40 Chevy PU - One Owner
http://www.teleport.com/~losborn/1940.html