Re: [oletrucks] I liked it

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] I liked it
From: John Dorsey <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:38:47 -0800
Cathie,

The 283 is a good engine with better fuel economy than a 350. It's
reliable, just look how long it's lasted so far!

As far as parts go, the common parts should be available overnight at
most auto parts stores (fuel pump, water pump, etc). For example, I just
bought a carburator for my '50 from my local parts store, they got it
overnight from their warehouse, and it's less common than your's. Deep
engine parts may take longer, like a week or so, but you would only be
buying those once when you rebuild it.

You are going to hear a lot of scare stories about unleaded gas in old
engines, you don't need to worry with a stock 283. I could go into long
technical detail about why some older engines eat valve seats on
unleaded gas, but basically it has to do with high internal temperatures
and preignition, which you won't have a problem with in that 283. If you
were going to really soup it up you would need hardened seats, otherwise
no. Again just look how long it's run so far, and it's been on unleaded
gas for what, 15 years now?

If you do go with a 350 be sure it has a place for the proper motor
mounts, some late model castings are different.

Have Fun,
John