[oletrucks] Re: Saw your truck!!

To: mkmiller@magnolia-net.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: Saw your truck!!
From: TORODRVR@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:29:22 EST
In a message dated 03/22/1999 8:19:06 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mkmiller@magnolia-net.com writes:

<<  I own a '51 and am looking to customize it.  I would like to put another
IFS and rear-end under it, do you have any suggestions?  I have heard that the
IFS from a 70ish half ton Chevy truck will work.  Do you know if this is
correct?  I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me, as I am just
starting out.  Thanks a lot and nice truck!
 Matthew >>

I'm pretty sure you'll need a narrower front end, probably from a Camaro or
Nova. Front cllp conversions aren't simple, but if you feel you have the
expertise, I wish you luck. Track width is important, but make sure you check
the width of your frame compared to the width of the clip where the welding
will take place. BTW, I'm still running the stock straight axle with a power-
steering conversion and tilt column. It's just fine on smooth roads. I have
over 13,000 miles on it, and will probably never IFS it. Another option you
might consider is a Mustang II, which will run into money but should be easier
for a neophyte than the IFS. Thanks for the good words on my truck!

Mike Jensen
48 half-ton 5-window