Re: [oletrucks] '59 Chevy 3/4 ton tranny?

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] '59 Chevy 3/4 ton tranny?
From: "Allen L. Jones" <ALJ@hartcrowser.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 12:01:21 -0700
I replaced the T350 trans in my 4x4 (behind a 350) with a 700R4 with reasonable
modifications (clutch pack, sprag type, how it locks up, etc.) and use the
truck to trailer other trucks.  No breakie yet - in fact, I have only great
things to say about the 700R4 if properly set up.  The breakie ones are the
early year ones and should be avoided.

>>> Bruce Ford <Booomie@worldnet.att.net> 04/17/99 11:32AM >>>
Another option, besides the 700, would be a 4L80 or 4L80E, which is basically a
TH400 with an overdrive.  The is an electronic controlled.  They are much more
durable than the 700s.  Everyone I talk to say that the 700s will break no
matter what you do to them.  Just another option.   Also, in rebuilding my rear
for my monte carlo, I was able to replace the axles, posi unit, ring and pinion
for all under $1000.  So that might be another good option.

Just some thoughts....
Bruce