[oletrucks] '59 Chevy 3/4 ton tranny?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] '59 Chevy 3/4 ton tranny?
From: wayne sellers <architectmsu@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:37:57 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

I am new to the list.  I recently bought a 1959 Apache 3/4 ton 2WD.
The guy I bought it from took the original motor and tranny out of it
(with only 80,000 some odd miles on them!  ARRRGGGHHH!), because it
wasn't running good.  He proceeded to replace them with a 350 and
automatic tranny from an '86 El Camino.

The truck has the original 4.57:1 rear end under it.  Needless to say
it sounds a little wound up at about 40 mph and screams at 50mph.

Damage being done by losing the original motor and trans, I think I
will just leave the 350 in it, but am afraid that I will burn the
tranny up trying to push those low gears.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a later model manual trans that
I could put back in to better accomodate the gear ratio?

As I said earlier I'm new to the list (and the old truck process) but
am ready and willing to listen and learn.  Any info would be helpful
and greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
     Wayne

===