RE: [oletrucks] Re: Purchacing Classic Chevys

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Re: Purchacing Classic Chevys
From: "Michael Snow" <mwsnow@home.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 18:53:00 -0700
> Sam,
>
>     Your enthusiasm is infectious!
>
>     I'd  be reserved about approaching old-truck owners "cold"
> about selling
> their trucks.
> Usually the reason they still have them, is they have misguided
> estimates of
> their worth...

I absolutely cannot pass up this opportunity to add an oletruck story of my
own.  I got permission from the owner of a gravel company to look through
his junkyard of '40s-'60s Chevy trucks for some parts that I wanted.  I
found a good looking set of original gauges in a '52 3/4 ton that I wanted.
After looking through all of the 20 or so trucks, I returned to his office
to negotiate a price for the gauges.  He informed me that he would be unable
to sell me any parts from that particular truck, as he used it "all the
time".  The truck in question had a 5" diameter tree growing through the
bed!!!  I couldn't help but laugh as I spread the story around the (small)
town :)  Some people just CAN'T part with their old iron.