Re: [oletrucks] Re: Purchacing Classic Chevys

To: "Sam H Harry" <samharry45@juno.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Re: Purchacing Classic Chevys
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 21:29:52 -0400
Sam,

    Your enthusiasm is infectious!

    I'd  be reserved about approaching old-truck owners "cold" about selling
their trucks.
Usually the reason they still have them, is they have misguided estimates of
their worth. At least don't mention it at first - admire the truck, ask
questions, like how long has it been in the family? What tranny does it
have? 6V or 12V? Gas mileage? gear ratio in rear end? etc... You will learn
a lot this way, and at least establish a camaraderie with the owner if he
thinks maybe his truck needs a good home.

    I'm no expert on the TF (Task Force) trucks, but I think they came with
std 3-speed, HD 3-speed both on column; Overdrive 3-speed (column),
Powerglide, or 4-speed floor shift with Granny (ultra-low) first gear. 265
V8 or 235 inline 6 would be the only engines on a '56. Check out
Chevytrucks.org for references and links for some of your other questions.
And good luck in your search for an old truck!

Jack / Winter Park FL