RE: [oletrucks] Wanted GMC 302 straight six engine

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Wanted GMC 302 straight six engine
From: "David Miller" <davidmiller@home.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 12:33:10 -0500
Folks, Pardon my delay, I get 'oletrucks' in digest mode.

I've got a GMC 248 straight six that is probably the original motor in my
'40 GMC AC252 1-ton woodie (shouldn't be, but wasn't a regular production
vehicle).  To haul all 4,500+ pounds around, I'd like something bigger, but
also attempts to maintain the appearance of the original motor.

These old GMC inline six's came in three types.  The 228, 248, 270 and 302's
were the "small block" and (Jack, help me here) use the same motor mounts,
etc.  The 302 was the favorite of inline enthusiasts for the brute power and
ability to shutdown  V8s.  They can get pretty exotic - several companies
built 12-port, crossflow heads for use with Weber sidedraft carbs or
Hilborne fuel injectors.  Destroking raised the redline and lightweight
pistons raised the compression, making for a potent brew.

David Miller - 1940 GMC 1-ton Woodie - Nashville, TN
Inliners # 2782

*****