[oletrucks] Bearing race

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Bearing race
From: Robert Strickland <karbert1@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 23:05:26 -0400
In regards to pulling outer races out of bearing housings, after using
all of the stated methods and a few uglier ones, the easiest is the weld
bead method.  Weld spatter can be a problem, but anti-splatter spray
used for Mig welding helps a lot.  Sometimes with larger races I have
had to use two or three passes to get the race to shrink enough to fall
out.  I have used Mig to make the beads but usually I use a low hydrogen
electrode like 7018 on reverse polarity to minimize spatter.  I suppose
TIG would work for even less spatter but access would be harder.  Make
sure you are grounded to the case so that the current dosen't pass
through any other bearings or bushings as arcing can damage other
bearing surfaces.  Have fun!

Bob Strickland

1951 - 3100/Corvette