Re: [oletrucks] To Power Or Not To Power, That Is The Question

To: "WR Teto" <monadnoc@wgserv.crystal-mtn.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] To Power Or Not To Power, That Is The Question
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 10:01:38 -0400
A common criticism of the Mustang II conversion is twitchy steering at
speed. Note that there are numerous ads in "Street Rodder" for special racks
and restrictor valves to overcome or at least minimize this. Could this be
why "Fatman" recommends against power steering?

I can only say that on a 3500 lb truck, I would not enjoy parking or
low-speed manuevering without power assist. Yes, you do give up some
steering "feel" but, for me at least, the ease of power assisted steering is
a more-than-acceptable tradeoff.  And if you plan to go to a lower-profile
tire with a bigger contact patch, PS becomes even more necessary.

But there is another very important factor to consider: The size and
position of the steering wheel.  Notice the size of the "Raph Kramden"
wheel, and where it is placed in relation to driver seating position. Then
compare that to a modern vehicle. The newer vehicle has been designed with
power steering as a given - so the wheel is smaller, closer to the dash, and
the seating position is more relaxed. You can do this with power steering,
because you no longer need the wheel positioned so that the driver has the
advantage in a wrestling match. This makes the cab noticeably more spacious,
and puts the driver further away from that "Impaler" steering column.

So, make it power, but I'd look into those modified racks and specially
valved pumps to avoid the twitchy effect at speed.

Jack / Winter Park FL