Re: [oletrucks] off topic (welders)

To: greyhawk2@earthlink.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] off topic (welders)
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 15:35:43 EDT
In a message dated 5/26/99 9:31:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
greyhawk2@earthlink.net writes:

<< Harbor Freight has one of those Liquid Crlystal Self Darkening helmets on
 sale for $150 bucks (pg. 47, cg#724). I was thinking about getting my kid
 one for his birthday. He just bought a wirefeed welder. Anybody had any
 experance with them? I'm not a welder so I don't know, sounds like a good
 idea though.

 HF has two on sale, the more expensive one ($170 bucks) is variable. Is that
 worth the extra money?
 Ben Bennett
 55 2nd >>

  I'll tell you what I did, I bought a new Huntsman helmet (old one wouldn't
accept an insert) and a Huntsman insert, the insert was about 140-150, the
helmet about 20 bucks.
  The insert switches at 1/25000th of a second, is adjustable (manually) from
9-12.
  Mine is the smaller insert, and is fine for smallish jobs (bodywork, etc.),
my Dad bought the same helmet, but spent more on the insert, his is the wide
view one, has a few more controls too, for sensing and dark to light delay.

  I like his when I'm doing a larger project, because the field of vision is
better, and when you're looking for the dykes to cut the MIG wire, or a
chipping hammer laying close by, it's easier to find without lifting up the
helmet.

  The erason I didn't go the HF route, was the switching specs were like
1/500th of a second, and the fact HF isn't known for high-end stuff, I figure
I'll only have one set of eyes, so I went with Huntsman (about the same price
when I put it together) because they've been in the business a long time.

  Mike