Re: [oletrucks] off topic (welders)

To: Ole Trucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] off topic (welders)
From: WR Teto <monadnoc@wgserv.crystal-mtn.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 01:47:31 -0400
Ben, you may have made your decision, so don't let me throw a monkey
wrench into the works, but here's my $.02 worth, having worked in the
nuclear welding industry for the last 20 years.  I personally don't care
for the self darkening helmets.  We've had a couple guys at the shop try
them, and I'm talking about folks who weld for 10 hours per day.  If you
were doing a piece work type of job or super precision work as a Tig
welder then maybe, but for normal use, it seems more bother than it's
worth.  When you're not welding, you seldom want to do other tasks or
maipulations with the helmet down.  Your field of vision is more limited
that way.

  However, that said, if you don't weld very often and tend to have
problems with flashing yourself (sounds kinky eh?), or have problems
losing track of where to strike an arc then they are not a bad
investment.  So i guess it's to each his own.  I just don't happen to
care for them.

The wire feed welders are great.  I have a 130 amp Miller running .030"
mig wire with 75/25% Argon-CO2 gas (less spatter than straight CO2 and
better for vertical or overhead welds).  The machine is capable of using
flux cored wire without the gas, but it's smokier and not as good for
out of position welds.  My machine is a 120 volt unit running on its own
20 amp circuit in the garage.  Great for sheet metal and car frame
welding, about all the home handyman would ever need.

Personally, if my wife were to offer me a choice between the helmet and
a good grinder, I'd take the latter!

Wally / Templeton, MA
53 3100