Re: [oletrucks] Gas Tank Sender Unit

To: <gaonarlt@uswest.net>, "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Gas Tank Sender Unit
From: "Doug Pewterbaugh" <dpewter@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 22:22:56 -0400
I did the same with my gas tank & don't think the shop put anything inside
(like a chain or steel shot) & rattled it around; it has had 2-3 tank fulls
through it now & I have been stranded too many times from rust clogged
lines.  Took the tank out last nite & there must be a cup of rust
flakes/sludge in the bottom of the tank.  Took it to a different radiator
shop this morning to have it cleaned again & lined with tank sealer.  The
sealer they're using is from a company in Fort Worth called Therm Process.
If the tank isn't too far gone, I'll let the list know how it went & more
details on contact info for & P/N's for Therm Process.  I'm using a POR15
like coating on the sending unit (it was pretty rusted also; the first
radiator shop bead blasted it when they boiled out the tank & I don't know
if they were originally coated/galvanized, or what, to keep them from
rusting.  But, this is adding to the "rust in tank" problem).  Moral to this
whole story?  If you already have the tank out & it even looks real clean
after boiled (mine did, too), get it sealed anyway (& make sure the tank is
either "rattled" around with chain/steel shot OR if rusted badly enough, cut
open/sand blasted/reassembled/& then sealed).

Regards,
Doug Pewterbaugh
dpewter@msn.com
Denton, TX