Re: [oletrucks] Jacobs Electronics

To: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Jacobs Electronics
From: "Lonnie L. Dickey" <mdickey@silverback.gorilla.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 21:29:45 -0500
Jack,

   Yes, actually I agree. I thought for a long time about the availability
of parts issue. In the end I got a Mallory. I had heard of the module's
reported nature to fail but I couldn't get a confirmation of any volume
with the people I talked to. One off the final deciding issues were the
smaller head size on the Unilite and advertised higher spark output.
I was stuffing a 350 in the old truck with bulky surpentine belt(s) and
wanted to ensure space for all the accessories and the length of the
Muncie 4SP.  I was a bit concerned about the HEI's larger size.
   So far I have done just about every thing stupid and its still running.
Things like forgetting to tell the welder to unplug the module before
welding in the area of the distributor. (Its a bit of a long shot but it
could damage the module you referred to for about $80 these days.)
I sure hope I don't suffer a problem like yours but its one of the chances
you take.
   You remind me of a very good point on some parts. Somer things
are critical to the operation of the vehicle, unlike creature comforts
such as A/C. I agree we should give extra weight to the part's durability
and replaceability when makeing our selection.

Lonnie