Re: [oletrucks] 235 Rear Main Seal

To: <Hudson29@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 235 Rear Main Seal
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 20:09:55 -0400
Paul,

    Bob Adler has posted a excellent treatise on rear main seal installation
at  Chevytrucks.org. Bob has little use for the shadetree method described
below, but If you absolutely must avoid removing the crank, an acceptable
repair can be made as follows:

     You can sneak in the upper half of the seal after loosening all the
main caps to let the crank drop down a little. Requires a  "Upper Rear Main
Oil Seal Remover and  Installer" tool from  NAPA, part #KD 492.  This kit
also has pieces included which allow installation of a neoprene seal. With
the motor on a stand you will need a friend to rotate the crank as you
remove the old seal and feed in the new one. This is a rather delicate
operation, but will work if done carefully. I recently did it on my GMC and
it has held up well. I was losing a lot of oil and it's now leak-free. The
old seal was in shreds.

    I have never replaced a front seal with the cover in place, although the
shop manual says it can be done using a "claw-type" puller  to remove the
old seal. Of course the damper pulley must come off first. I would go ahead
and remove the timing cover (pan has to come off first, unless your engine
has had the front main cap drilled and tapped for 3/8" cap screws - a sly
trick to avoid pan removal next time). You can examine the crank snout for
wear at the seal line and if needed install a repair sleeve. The seal is
easy to install with the cover off.

Jack / Winter Park FL