Re: [oletrucks] Melancholy Monday...

To: <Passnb4U@aol.com>, <apache58truck@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Melancholy Monday...
From: hughes59@jps.net
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 21:41:13 -0700
Hey I know that feeling.  About a year ago I found the straightest
unrestored '59 short fleetside I've ever seen (and I, like most everyone on
the list, I suspect, have looked at 100's of trucks), though it lacked
engine and tranny.  I went over it with a fine tooth comb, it was absolutely
rust free.  Really about all it needed was a fresh paint job and it would've
been great to go as far as body work. Even had a chrome grill piece and
fleetside bed emblems.  The guy only wanted $900, but he was on the road (a
trucker) and I spoke with his daughter.  I told her I wanted the truck, and
I'd get the cash and return that afternoon.  She said no hurry, Dad'll be
back Saturday and he'll give you a call.

Saturday came and I waited till about 10am and gave him a call.  I said I'm
the guy who bought your '59 I'll bring the cash by whenever you want.  He
said wait a minute, something's messed up here, a guy came by and paid for
the truck this morning, the trucks gone.  It was literally like someone
sucker punched me in the stomach.  I mumbled something to him, hung up and
had to sit down for a while and catch my breath.  Once in a while I still
get a little green about it.    I guess I should've insisted on leaving a
deposit or a check the day I looked at the truck.

Later on, I actually ran into the guy who "stole" the truck.  He's a local
bodyman, and he was showing me a picture album with before and after photos
of vehicles he's restored and customized.  In the album was a picture of him
and his wife loading "my" truck on a trailer.  I said hey that looks like a
truck I looked at out near the airport.  He said yep thats were I picked it
up, belonged to a trucker. Talk about rubbing salt in the wound.  To top it
off, he said he didn't much care for fleetsides and planned to replace it
with a stepside bed.  The fleetside bed was to  be relegated to a beater
truck he used to haul parts and hay in.  Well, at least the truck went to
someone who'll probably do a good restoration.

Later, Keith